Last month The Bluegrass Special’s almost 45-year run on KSON came to an end. I will always be grateful to KSON for giving me the opportunity to host a bluegrass music radio program in San Diego for so many years.
But the Bluegrass Special is not finished! There is another country radio station in San Diego–Mountain Country 107.9 in Alpine (which is where I live) with the motto “Nobody plays more country” and that is not false advertising. They are a local non-profit, low-power radio station serving San Diego’s east county so it doesn’t reach all of San Diego county. But it does have the power of the internet to reach thousands of listeners, no matter where they live.
The new Bluegrass Special will be on Sundays from 4 to 7 p.m., a much better time slot when people are still awake! And instead of two hours, we’ll have three–so I can play a lot more of today’s bluegrass along with classics, oldies, gospel and local artists. I’ll also keep you up-to-date on local bluegrass concerts and events once they start happening again. This will still be San Diego’s bluegrass radio program.
Here are five ways you can listen to the Bluegrass Special every Sunday:
- If you are in the east county (Alpine, El Cajon, Lakeside) just tune your radio to 107.9!
- From your computer or any other internet-connected device, use your browser to find TheMountainFM.com. There is a play button on the home page which will start the music!
- From your smartphone or tablet, download the Simple Radio app for Android/iOS. Once it’s installed, search for Mountain Country 107.9 and it will appear. Another radio app that works the same way is Live365.
- You can also listen on your Amazon Smartspeaker (ALEXA) or any Alexa-enabled device like Kindle Fire Tablet. To listen, you must first say “ALEXA – ENABLE MOUNTAIN COUNTRY ONE OH SEVEN POINT NINE“. You only have to do that once. After that, you only have to say “ALEXA – PLAY MOUNTAIN COUNTRY 107.9”.
- On your AMAZON FIRE TV/ROKU device, go to the app store and download the free ALPINE CHANNEL APP. Press play to listen.
See you on the radio!