I’ve been involved in ministry (mostly youth ministry) for over 50 years. Currently I spend a lot of my time working with a ministry that serves grandparents! I also have bluegrass music radio show and maintain a website called BluegrassBios.com. I occasionally do some speaking and writing but my most important priorities these days are being a husband, father, grandpa and disciple of Jesus.
Here’s a bit of history:
- I married my wife Marci in 1966. We were married in late January, exactly one year before the first Super Bowl (which was in 1967). So … our first anniversary was on Super Bowl I and we’ve been counting our years of marriage in Roman numerals ever since.
- We have been blessed with three kids and five grandkids who are a joy!
- I co-founded (with Mike Yaconelli) a youth ministry organization called Youth Specialties, which continues to sponsor the National Youth Workers Convention (NYWC). I was publisher of “The Wittenburg Door,” a Christian news and satire magazine, “YouthWorker Journal” and several other periodicals.
- I started up another organization called Understanding Your Teenager, which is now part of HomeWord.
- I have written a bunch of books (last count, about 30).
- For two years, I taught youth ministry and Bible at San Diego Christian College.
- I once played in a semi-successful country band called Brush Arbor and even got to play a few shows with Johnny Cash!
- I began hosting “The Bluegrass Special” on KSON-FM, which is now longest running radio program in San Diego history. You can still hear it Sunday nights 10:00 pm until midnight on 103.7 KSON-FM, San Diego’s top-rated country music station.
- I also played banjo in three San Diego bluegrass bands: Pacific-ly Bluegrass, Lighthouse and Grassology.
- I served as Pastor to Generations at College Avenue Baptist Church in San Diego for 5 years (2009-2014), working mostly with families.
- Since 2016, I have worked as a volunteer staff member with the Legacy Coalition, a ministry to equip and encourage grandparents. One of my responsibilities is planning the Legacy Grandparenting Summit, the only national conference on Christian grandparenting.
- My wife Marci and I live in Alpine, California — about 45 minutes from downtown San Diego.